Friday, January 9, 2009

the merdollies...take one...

So I decided I was going to make Sassy Pants a dolly. I've been known to be crafty, so why not, right? Sassy Pants is obsessed with 3 things- not in any particular order- Mermaids, Fairies and My Little Ponies. I decided it would be fun to make a mermaid doll.

I gathered my supplies, googled a bit to find a pattern to follow and got started. Kink number one- no such pattern exists anywhere on the Internet. So I found a doll pattern and a mermaid outfit pattern and morphed the two together creating my own pattern. (go me!) No fabric, and no budget for fabric, so I pulled out the giant bag of felt scraps my mom had given me. SCORE! Thank you mom- every single color I needed to make not only ONE *merdolly*, but TWO *merdollies*. Sassy pants decided it would be a good idea to make a doll for "the new girl" (aka Baby Sister)- you know...so she doesnt feel left out. Sure...why not? Its not like I have anything else I'm doing...wait a second...


After about 20 hours (ok maybe not...closer to 10 maybe lol) of hand stitching, stuffing, and more hand stitching, merdolly #1 - for Baby Sister- is complete.



That.thing.took.forever. She turned out pretty cute though! There's nothing on her that can be bitten off (she's felt and embroidery floss and a bit of ribbon and that's it), so I figure she's ok for the 3 and under crowd, right? I made Scooty a taggy blanket when he was a newborn...maybe I'll make one for Baby Sister to drool all over too and save this for her 2nd birthday...


I don't know what I'm thinking if I think I'm ever going to finish the 2nd doll. I've started on her. I've invested a good 10 hours in her already. I decided she'd be more detailed- you know...for a *big girl* like Sassy Pants...somebody who's not going to try to EAT the doll...

That's all that's done. Beading, hand stitched details (like scales)



Yep- merdolly has a beaded bracelet (stitched directly into the arm), earrings, a "hairclip", beaded bodice and yep, beaded/sequined belt or whatever the heck that is....
Whats left? Stuffing her and stitching her shut. What's stopping me? Its TEDIOUS!! Plus now Sassy says she doesnt even *LIKE* the stupid doll! UGH! How come, you ask? Because she has too much "stuff"...oh- you mean all the "stuff" you ASKED me to add????
So she sits in a ziplock bag on my kitchen table until I'm ready to try to finish her. She's awful cute- I don't know what mermaid obsessed little kid wouldn't want a dolly like that?!
So if I ever finish her...I'll try to remember to post a photo of the finished doll and hopefully a very pleased Sassy Pants.

1 comment:

The Three Little Bears said...

So adorable! If I was little kid, I'd be sneaking those into the bathtub with me.